CodeGear Releases Feature Rich Ruby and RoR Editor
Update: As I've actually started to use the editor I've encountered several exceptions that seem to be related to the code completion feature. The exceptions (followed by a nagging popup window) are so frequent that I've gone back to using Netbeans for my Ruby editing.
Update: (see comments below for a workaround to the exception I refer to above.
I've just finished watching the "Tour of the 3rdRail IDE" video and I invite you to do the same. Below I outline some of the features available but I was surprised to see one specific feature missing, a debugger? In fact 3rdRail joins the majority of Ruby editors that don't sport a debugger. The only exception I've seen is the Netbeans Ruby editor. Anyway, you can check it out yourself by downloading a 30 day free trial from the CodeGear.com website.
Here are the features:
- Available on Macintosh, Red Hat Linux, Windows XP and Windows Vista
- Support for latest Ruby (1.8.5), Rails (1.2.3) and all databases
- Project Commander, a powerful in-IDE command shell (you have the choice of using this command shell or using several wizards that are also available
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails Code Completion
- Key Refactorings for rename Controller, Action and View
- Live Dependencies View for Ruby and Ruby on Rails projects with file linking and project navigation features
- Embedded Ruby console (IRB) with Code Completion
- Rails Project and File Creation Wizards
- DOM Inspector
- Regular Expression Builder
- Subversion integration
- XML HTTP Request Monitor
Here are some visual snapshots of some of the features:
Embedded Mozilla browser
XML HTTP Request Monitor
RHTML Editing and Code Completion