Growl for JRuby
I set out to find an elegant solution to providing growl notifications for a JRuby application. Here are my findings:
- growl - nice simple code but requires Growlnotify extra to be installed.
- growlnotifier - requires RubyCocoa? Doesn't seem to work with JRuby 1.5.1.
- growl-glue - "simplifies Growl configuration for Autotest". Requires Autotest and Growlnotify extra to be installed. No dice.
- growltdf - scrapes cyclingnews.com for Tour De France race updates and pops them into growl. Totally not what's needed.
As Thomas Enebo points out in his comment, the 'g' gem works great with JRuby but does require a minor growl configuration change:
- check "Listen for incoming notifications"
- check "Allow remote application registration"
That's it. Now you can do something as simple as: